When the TGA grants a patient approval to trial a specific medicinal cannabis formulation, the doctor will give the patient:
- A copy of their TGA approval (containing a unique code to that approval)
- A script for the formulation specified on the application. The script should also include the patients (1) TGA Approval code (2) Contact number (3)Titration schedule
When a patient takes an approval and script into a pharmacy, the pharmacy will:
- Order for the patient the quantity of the formulation specified on the script, from the supplier
- In order to dispatch the formulation to a pharmacy, the supplier is required to receive a copy of the TGA approval with its unique code
- If the prescribed formulation contains the active THC, the pharmacy will require the appropriate approvals to supply schedule 8 products.
Orders are generally dispatched from wholesalers Monday – Thursday only to avoid storage by couriers over a weekend period.
Please note, medicinal cannabis products cannot be dispatched until all approvals and associated script have been received.
The whole process can be done as quickly as 5 days.